Re: thunderbird and evolution

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:02:24AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Alternatively you could use an IMAP server (dovecot for example) which
> makes the content of the mailstore available via the IMAP protocol.
> Most clients in use today should be able to use that, and if the client
> and server are on the same machine the speed penalty is not an issue.
> This has the added advantage that it will work over the network, be it
> local or internet.

How can I avoid the need for authentication? With dovecot this basically
means calling /usr/lib/dovecot/imap directly for establishing the
connection instead of connecting to the imap port. This can also be done
over ssh, in case you already have ssh public key (or tunnel)
authentication to the remote host.

I do have a /usr/local/bin/imap-local that sets the value of MAIL before
running /usr/lib/dovecot/imap .

With mutt I call it using:

Locally:
  account-hook imap://localhost/ 'set tunnel="/usr/local/bin/imap-local"'

Elsewhere:
  account-hook imap://pear/ 'set tunnel="ssh pear /usr/local/bin/imap-local"'

(pear is a host name defined for me in .ssh/config)

Pine has always supported a similar method (and indeed, uw-imapd also
works pre-authenticated). Sylpheed and Claws also support it, IIRC. Not
sure about other mailers.