Re: thunderbird and evolution

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:08:36PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Instead of complicating things, set up an imap server for storage and
> your MTA as a relay host.

Okay. So as I understand it:
- All messages are stored on a server, the server has tools to receive
the mail from my isp
- I can then access the server with clients, from anywhere in the world.

Is this correct? So, once setup, do I just give all my clients the
address of my imap? e.g. localhost:/whatever
Can I access my emails on the imap server from a remote web log in, I
read about this somewhere. If so, must I forward the necessary ports to
my server? How is the sending of mail controled? Eg. does the imap do
this, like, does the client send it to the imap, then the imap takes
care of it from there?

Do you know of a good howto for this?

> Lastly, configure all your MUAs to send to your own machine (which,
> running an MTA configured as a relay host, shunts the mail out to
> smtp.iinet.net.au) and "read" from the IMAP server.

Ah right, so the imap does actually send the mail?

Thanks for your help

Daniel.