thunderbird and evolution

Hi,

I plan to use evolution and thunderbird occasionally to read my mail. I
normally use mutt from a console, but how can I configure thunderbird
and evolution to do the following?
- Read mail from /var/mail/daniel, and don't move it, just read it from
that folder, and delete or move only when I tell it to? eg. behave like
mutt would.
- How do I then access my mailing list folders in ~/mail/*?
- How can I get them to use fetchmail for receiving and msmtp to send?
for receiving it shouldn't really do anything, just watch the folders as
fetchmail will automatically deliver the mail, actually procmail, but
how can I get the clients to use msmtp for sending?

Thanks!

Daniel.