Unable to boot into encrypted file system after upgrade etch --> lenny

Hello,
after I upgraded to lenny I am not able to boot the new kernel
(2.6.26-1-686), however it still works using the old etch kernel
(2.6.22-2-k7 from backports.org). About my system: There is an
encrypted root partition on /dev/hda1 and a separate /boot partition
on /dev/hda4. When booting the new kernel I get "Waiting for root file
system" and a while later I am being dropped to a busy box shell. I
have seen, the docs suggest that the problem might be a /dev/hda - /
dev/sda confusion with a new kernel, however before the boot hangs
there is a bunch of messages that addresses the hard disk as "/dev/
hda". Furthermore I followed the docs' suggestion to add label
descriptors to the hard disk partitions to avoid these confusions.
Now my /etc/crypttab looks like:

root              LABEL=CRYPTOROOT             root.key
luks,keyscript=/root/crypto-usb-key.sh
swap              /dev/hda3                   /dev/random        swap

And /etc/fstab:

proc                             /proc               proc
defaults                                    0       0
/dev/mapper/swap       none              swap
sw                                          0       0
LABEL=CRYPTOROOT       /               ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro                  0       1
LABEL=BOOT              /boot               ext3
defaults                                    0       1

The entries in grub/menu.lst are:

title		Debian Etch old kernel
root		(hd0,3)
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.22-2-k7 root=LABEL=CRYPTOROOT ro vga=773
initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.22-2-k7
savedefault

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-686
root		(hd0,3)
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686 root=LABEL=CRYPTOROOT ro vga=773
initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686
savedefault

where the first entry (old kernel) boots fine. Both initrd.img files
were created after the upgrade. I suspect that there is some module
missing from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules that is required for the new
kernel, but I have no idea which it might be. I tried adding some
modules by try-and-error, but to no avail.  Currently it looks like:

# Syntax:  module_name [args ...]
loop
ide-disk
# for usb drive: