Re: lenny reinstall

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:38:23AM -0600, postid wrote:
> I need to reinstall lenny using netinstall. (I had some problems
> with the network, etc. during the first attempt.) I want to keep
> the partitioning I currently have set up. I especially don't want
> to risk messing up hda1 since I promised the user that I'd give
> them the option of booting either system.

To prevent having network problems mess up an install, I always just
install a minimal system (don't choose anything from tasksel).  Then run
aptitude and install what I want.  If you want to use tasksel, just
install it later.

>    hda1 win2000
>    hda2 /
>    hda5 /swap
>    hda6 /home
>
>  Will the partitioner give me the option of reusing the current
> scheme and formatting over the old data on hda2 and hda6 or do I
> need to delete the contents of hda2 and hda6 using a live distro
> (or the installer command line?) before I start the install? I
> seem to recall reading somewhere that Debian won't install over
> itself. Any pitfalls to watch for here or am I just paranoid? I
> don't want to lose the contents of hda1. I'm planning on using
> the graphical installer and manual partitioning.

It should present the existing partitions as they are.  You'll have to
select each one and tell the installer what to do with each, e.g.

hda2 use as ext3, mount point /
hda5 use as swap (not /swap)
hda6 use as ext3, mount point /home

You'll have to tell it to reformat the partitions.

Don't tell it to do anything with hda1.  It should leave it alone.

Doug.