Re: lenny reinstall

postid wrote:
I need to reinstall lenny using netinstall. (I had some problems with the network, etc. during the first attempt.) I want to keep the partitioning I currently have set up. I especially don't want to risk messing up hda1 since I promised the user that I'd give them the option of booting either system.

   hda1 win2000
   hda2 /
   hda5 /swap
   hda6 /home

Will the partitioner give me the option of reusing the current scheme and formatting over the old data on hda2 and hda6 or do I need to delete the contents of hda2 and hda6 using a live distro (or the installer command line?) before I start the install? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Debian won't install over itself. Any pitfalls to watch for here or am I just paranoid? I don't want to lose the contents of hda1. I'm planning on using the graphical installer and manual partitioning.

No problem, when you get to the partitioning part of install choose the manual partitioning and choose the partitions you want to install to, as for /root you will need to have it formated during the install or you can delete the system files before hand by using a Live cd and not have it formated (this is good if you have /home on the /root partition), as for /home you do not need to format, if you want a clean install it's best to let the installer format all the partitions.

The /swap will be auto-formated, you have no choice.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263