Re: Top posting vs Bottom posting

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Barclay, Daniel <daniel@fgm.com> wrote:

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> Mail 1: Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
> Mail 2: A: Top-posting.
> Mail 3: Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> Mail 4: A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
> text.

Wrong.  Since when does even a threaded mail reader rearrange the content
within a single message into a different order?

It doesn't, and you're splitting hairs.  In a threaded mail reader, I've just read the previous post, there is zero need to provide context.  This is what it looks like in a threaded mail reader when you're bottom posting:

What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

> What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
Top-posting.

>> What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
> Top-posting.
Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

>>> What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>> Top-posting.
> Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

This sort of display is annoying.  You've already seen what it looks like when top-posted in a modern mail reader (ie; it follows the order in which people normally read text).

Chris's example showed the order of replies in a message constructed with
top-posting.  Are you trying to win your argument by trying to pull a
fast one (by switching to talking about the order in the message-list
pane instead of the message), or do you just not understand Chris's example?

The most common arguments for bottom-posting are based on the mail reader people are using, "but without context in my non-threaded, written in 1980 mail reader, I can't tell what the post is about."  So obviously, what people are using to read their mail is germane to the discussion.  In a modern mail reader, top-posted messages are what flow more naturally.

A more successful argument for your position would be to point to mail archives where an entire  discussion needs to be preserved in a logical order contained in a single post.  Continuing to point to an active discussion thread as proof that top posting is illogical... is illogical.  You are doing nothing more than pandering the to the pedantic.

I understand the other Chris' example just fine.  Do you understand mine?

--
Chris