BUG in gnome-settings-daemon? dbus? pam?

Hi you all,

I am experiencing this behaviour with gnome-settings-daemon: everytime I log in it takes a very long time and, once I logged, if I try to change the look of gnome I get this message:

"There was an error starting the GNOME settings daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds or background settings may not work correctly.
The error message was:
Did not receive a reply. (etc.)"

Running from cli gives
** (gnome-settings-daemon:8539): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon
** (gnome-settings-daemon:8539): WARNING **: Could not acquire name

googling around I found hundreds of forum full with this message but none reported the solution (even if someone SOLVED in a totally obscure manner that didn't worked for me)

I tried to add a new user and everything worked fine but when adding this new user to the groups I needed to belong to... things stopped working once again. Removing the user from every group fix the "anomaly" but obviously nobody can live with this limited user.

Any suggestion?

regards
raffaele

ps:
I am on debian squeeze running a real time kernel with some other system tweaks in order to boost audio performance, e.g. in limits.conf
@audio   -  rtprio     99
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
@audio   -  nice      -19

and a rc.local script with: