Re: Streaming Video from a Debian box

2009/3/22 Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net>
On Saturday 21 March 2009 10:54:09 Kent West wrote:
> So, what's the solution for setting up my own Youtube-like service on my
> Debian box?

If I'm not mistaken, YouTube uses pseudo-streaming rather than "full" streaming (or at least it was said to do so last time I looked into it). This can be achieved with little more than lighttpd and/or PHP. You might want to look at Flowplayer and Xmoov, both of which are media players written in Flash (like YouTube's) which can use streamed, pseudo-streamed or progressively-downloaded content files. Xmoov also make available a PHP script which will supposedly give pseudo-streaming capabilities to a generic (Apache) webserver with PHP, IIRC.

I've been meaning to try the latter myself, but haven't found time yet. There are other PHP scripts to be found for this if you search for them. Also worth looking into is Red5, which is an open source streaming Flash server.

Do let us know how you get on!

All best,

Sam