Re: Streaming Video from a Debian box

On Saturday 21 March 2009 10:54:09 Kent West wrote:
> Do I understand that there's no pre-packaged Debian solution for
> streaming videos from the Debian/apache box to other clients, similar to
> how YouTube streams videos?
>
> I found Icecast, but the official site indicated it's an audio streamer
> only, although I saw a reference or two elsewhere about it possibly
> streaming theora files. (Which would work, if I can convert my
> Mac-generated .mp4 file into theora. (I only used the Mac for its iMovie
> app; openmovieeditor crashed on me, and seemed ... "weak".))
>
> I also found Apple's Darwin, but that just seems .., tainted ,..
> somehow, and I'm not sure it would work anyway.
>
> So, what's the solution for setting up my own Youtube-like service on my
> Debian box?

  I've never done it myself, but I understand that "ffmpeg" is
the streaming server of choice for open-source applications, and that
it's good for both live feeds like a webcam, and archived content
like YouTube.

<http://www.oav.net/mirrors/video-streaming-servers.html>

  It's also packaged for lenny, and probably others.  If you
want non-open formats, you might have to get codecs from
debian-multimedia, they won't be in the main repos.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net