Re: Which timezone does the cron use in Debian?

In <[🔎] 20090322151837.7d584022.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:18:34 +0000
>Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:
>> > and the date and time is correct. They're the same as the bios (cmos)
>> > clock shows.
>> I'd assume cron uses system-time, so whichever time 'date' tells
>> you... Did you check to see you don't have any other cron-jobs alying
>> around?
>But IIUC, timezone is a property of individual user environments, and
>is not a systemwide constant;

It can be overridden by an individual user's settings, but it is also
configured system-wide via the /etc/localtime file/symlink.

>date presumably uses the timezone of the
>user invoking it.

Indeed the date command is sensitive to those settings, as well as
/etc/localtime.

>I assume, but I'm no expert, that cron also uses the
>timezone of the user whose cronjob it's currently running.

I don't think the user's .bash_profile, .profile, etc. are sourced during a
cron run.  Your .bashrc might, but normally not.  Even global files of this
type like /etc/profile are generally not sourced during the cron run.

This means that the user's overrides are generally not honored, so the
timezone will be what is specified in /etc/localtime.  The overrides are all
via environment variables, so you can set them in your crontab if you want.