Re: snd-hda-intel Codec: IDT 92HD73E1X5 support in lenny

Alex Samad wrote:

>> what does it mean in human language?
>
> m-a is part of the package module-assist - it assist in building modules
> that are connected/rely upon the kernel source/headers.
>
> apt-get install module-assist
> m-a update prepare
> m-a -t build alsa
>
> this will produce a alsa<something>.deb file in /usr/src

Alex, thanks for explaining. I've never heard something about m-a - I'm not
that debianized. I installed it and build dummy debian packages just to
satisfy the package dependencies.

I can hear sound now. Thanks to your help and the help of the developers!

What I did is try the different switches and plug the jack in different
outputs. So I finally found the perfect combination.

Actually there are 5 outputs: 3 for (front/surround/subwoofer) + 1 lineout +
1 headphones.

I was expecting to get something on lineout. it turned to be the front
output + Analog loopback 1 should be muted (I think exactly this kept me
from hearing anything)

Now the only problem I have is that I must set volume (all master/pcm/front)
to 100% to hear anything on my old maranz amplifier. I've tried with
different inputs on the amp and different cable. I also have to increase
the volume on the amplifier to 50% to hear that loud as it is normally (or
with other input sources) at about 10%.

I have had the same problem when connecting the 2nd monitor to my notebook.
>From the notebook without 2nd monitor it sounds great, but with 2nd monitor
attached it sounds like 10% from what was before.
I have experienced this with kernel 2.6.26 on the notebook and on this PC
I'm using 2.6.28.8.

Hardware engineers said it's hard to find out what exactly is the problem
(they should disamble everything and measure the voltage and power to find
out). They said new snd devices have different impedance (whatever it may
mean) so it's expected to set all volume to almost max.

I'm thinking that it could be also a bug in the hda-intel/-hdmi driver. As
when I don't compile snd-usb-audio it sounds great (this I've tried with
2.6.20/24/26)

So, since I'm having this notebook and jumped to 2.6.2+ I hear music in bad
quality on an excellent amplifier and boxes only because my notebook and pc
have intel sound cards - should I throw them away or buy an additional
soundcard, or may be an extra mixer (preamp), or install windows? It's
really odd!

Is it the manufacturers pushing us to upgrade to new hardware, or is it just
a software somehow bug related to intel and may be additional snd-usb ?

I'll be greatfull for any useful answers!

Thanks