Re: Help! Grub is broken

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:09:13 +0000, Avi Greenbury posted:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus#Threats

Good grief, since when has wikipedia become the ultimate resource. Do you
notice how many of the references are to anti-virus labs, who have a
vested interest in selling software?

Naturally any of this is opinion on both sides. It isn't really possible
for me to give data that shows something doesn't exist. And, you have
no reason to believe me or anyone else but will you please review this
article by Rick Moen, he makes a cogent argument.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

If after reviewing it you still think you are correct, aside from possible
semantic differences about the definition of virus, cone back and I
suppose we can try to discuss further or agree to disagree. Otherwise, I
ask that people please stop stating that there are linux virus in the wild
in a thread that involves inexperienced users. The only people who have an
interest in the FUD are those who stand to profit by selling software for
Linux virus catching and removal and I am not accusing you of that. (Note
I didn't say not to run a virus checker on a mail server in a network with
Windows clients, our issue is with Linux virus.)

You will note that Rick's page is current, last modified 2009-02-16.
Naturally, current doesn't signify correctness but, in my opinion, it is
better than the page poster Celejar suggested which is from 2000 and I
don't remember any spread of "Bliss" since that time.

Regards