Re: Help! Grub is broken

In <[🔎] 6a8fced30903190142s7a96df91y4dbfcfc0649f15e9@mail.gmail.com>, 明覺 wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It all happened suddenly. I was editing a file in gedit 3 minutes ago,
>> > and
>> > when I was saving it, it said "readonly filesystem". then i restarted
>> > my machine, it ccould not shutdown for it said it's a readonly file
>> > system. then i pressed reset to force it restart, then it stopped at
>> > "grup loading. please wait... error 17", what happened to my machine,
>> > is it a virus? how to recover my system? thanks
>> It is not going to be a virus.
>If it's not a virus, why my computer suddenly become broken, I do not
>understand, i guess it should be a virus.

Drives, cables, memory, and CPUs can physically fail suddenly.
CPUs, BIOSes, kernels, file system drivers, and application programs can
have software defects that cause unexpected errors.

I'm guessing something prevented the ext driver from writing to the disk and
it switched over to read-only mode.

While they have been seen in the wild, Linux viruses are extremely rare, and
none of them can be acquired via normal web browsing or email.