Re: External USB HD showing up late in /dev

Davide Mancusi wrote:
The problem is that sometimes, when init calls
fsck, /dev/exthd1 has not appeared yet, fsck bombs and init drops me to
an emergency shell. This happens about 50% of the times. Then I use the
emergency prompt to check if /dev/exthd1 actually exists, and, again,
50% of the times it doesn't; the /dev/sd?1 file is always there,
though. When /dev/exthd1 doesn't exist, a "udevadm trigger" will bring
it up.

	This looks like some kind of race condition between kernel and
udev, but I don't really understand why udev doesn't pick on the new
devices automatically, as soon as the kernel creates them. I have tried
to add WAIT_FOR="/dev/exthd1" to my udev rule, but it didn't help.
I had a similar problem a while back. I didn't have time then to look for a proper solution and ended up adding a 'rootdelay=n' option to the kernel boot parameters (where n is the number of seconds to wait before attempting to mount the root file system). Having a 10 second delay on reboot was preferable to the system bombing to the recovery shell 50% of the time.

AFAIK this option isn't available in pre-2.6.11 kernels and it's more of a quick hack than a proper fix but it might work for you.

--
Mark.