Re: Consolechars Question

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:37:26PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:18:40PM EDT, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > maybe, but I have no such command.
>
> Sorry .. was in too much of a rush to proofread before posting.
>
> The command is "showconsolefont" and it's part of the kbd package.
>
>   http://www.geocities.com/fcky1000/fcky/showconsolefont.png

Interesting.  Installing kbd removed console-tools.  With kbd installed
showconsolefont displayed the current character set, exactly what I
wanted to see.  Next I followed the link you gave and googled kbd
reaching http://freshmeat.net/projects/kdb but neither site gave any
information regarding the tools included in kbd.

Returning to a search of Debian packages I learned that console-tools
is a replacement for kbd and a package kbd-compat supplies backward
compatability so I reinstalled console-tools which removed kbd and then
installed kbd-compat.  kbd-compat may provide some backward
compatability but this does not include showconsolefonts.

I returned to a study of the consolechars man page and experimented with
the -sfm (screen-font-map) command both bare and with font names
supplied from the /usr/share/consolefonts and /usr/share/consoletrans
files but failed to find the right combination to get a display of the
character set like that generated by kbd's showconsolefont command.

Perhaps I am being a little thickheaded in failing to understand the
consolechars man page but it seems to me that a couple examples - this
is how to display the characters in the current font and this is how you
display the characters in a specified font - would not be amiss.

Tom