Re: Print to PDF with lpr

> Think there is a little confusion here that needs to be cleared up:
>
> ODF if not supposed to be a printable format.  It is the native format used
> by OOo to store its working files for editing, not printing - it is NOT a
> page description language like PDF or PostScript.

I now know that. But I didn't just a day ago!

> To print ODF, it needs to be rendered as a page description language such as
> PDF, PostScript, etcetera.  This is what happens when you select 'Export to
> PDF' in OOo.
>
> Trying to think of a good analogy to clarify this.  The best that springs to
> mind is HTML.  If you print an HTML file, you just get the page source
> printed.  If you print it from your browser, however, the HTML, CSS, images,
> etcetera, are rendered in the familiar form that you see when visiting a web
> page.
>
> It would certainly be possible to write a command-line application to
> convert ODF to PostScript, PDF etcetera.  The document format is open so
> there is nothing stopping anyone from cobbling something together with, say
> Perl and XSLT.  If nobody has done this and you don't fancy writing it
> yourself, I'm afraid that you will still need to use OOo to render to a
> printable format.
>
> Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Matthew. The problem with ODF is that there is no reference
implementation. Not all programs will display it as OOo. But I just
discovered this OOo extension which allows the user to save the
document as PDF with the ODF file embedded for editing:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport

This is, in my opinion, the perfect document format. The only thing
missing from the extension is better save support, as the user
currently must be careful to export (not save) as a Hybrid PDF file.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü