Re: URGENT - v5.0.0 amd64 (stable): Broadcom 4321AG Wi-Fi adapter not detected

* John Wesley Cooper <jwesleycooper@cox.net> [2009-03-12 19:41:34 -0700]:

> I haven't quite gotten it fixed, but I have managed to successfully set up a
> ndiswrapper kernel!  Now all would appear to need is a driver...

I thought I pointed you to a driver that you wouldn't have to install
from a softpac first.  Hence the instruction to download the Dell
driver. It doesn't need to be prior installed by Windows or Wine.

You just move it to a working directory and unzip it, then move to the
resulting DRIVER directory, and ndiswrapper -i  bcmwl5.inf

Like so:

download from here:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R151517.exe

and copy that file into your home directory and do:

unzip R151517.exe

which will decompress the file. If it doesn't work, you need the unzip
utility: apt-get install unzip

after you have that file unpacked, a new directory will have been
created: DRIVER

move into that directory:

cd DRIVER

and as root, do

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

you can see what's in any directory you're in with with the 'ls'
command as so:

dave@gecko:~/Downloads/DRIVER$ ls
bcm43xx64.cat  bcm43xx.cat  bcmwl564.sys  bcmwl5.inf  bcmwl5.sys

Installing wine to get a simple driver to work seems IMHO to bit of
overkill, and the Dell drivers seem to be a bit more complete in my
experience, unless you really need the Compaq/HP stuff (I never have,
but some machines can hiccup).
--
Dave