using usb flash drive locks up pc on squeeze

Hi,

Recently installed testing for the first time.  Whenever
I try to use a usb flash drive the machine freezes: no
keyboard, no mouse, no ssh from the outside, not even
an answer to a ping.

Most often this happens right after plugging in the drive.
Once I was able to work maybe 4 or 5 minutes before things
locked up.  Couple of times I've been able to get to prompt
and mount the drive.

Tried a couple of differnt usb thumb drives.  All cause
the squeeze machine to lock up, none cause and etch machine
to lock up.

Thought it might have been related to pmount or hal recently
installed, but I purged them and the problem persists.  Except
for ssh, I've purging everything added since the install, but
the box still hangs when using usb flash drives.

Nothing in the logs.

kernel 2.6.26

Any suggestions?

wg