Re: Help! My debian sid cannot boot, "A manual fsck must be performed"

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:21:55PM +0700, Steven Demetrius wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:14 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> > When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > /dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
> > -a or -p options)
> > fsck died with exit status 4
> > failed (code 4)
> > An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
> > manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
> > maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
> > failed!
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > i have entered the maintance mode, but i don't know how to recover my
> > filesystem. anyone can help me? thank you. this is the first time i
> > encounter a serious problem with debian.
> >

> Sounds like you have a defective HD.

Just because fsck conked out?  get real.

Of course, the problem on Debian is that "maintenance mode" (i.e.
single-user-mode) has already tried to mount all filesystems.

Instead, try this:

At grub's menu, edit the kernel command line so that you add:

	init=/bin/sh

This way, the kernel will boot, the initrd scripts will run, but insead
of normal init running (with the init scripts), you'll end up with the /
fs mounte ro and no init scripts having been run.  Its like booting a
LiveCD without being able to write anything.  You'll be able to run any
apps in /bin and /sbin.

You'll get a sh prompt.  Run the following (assuming that your root fs
is ext2 or ext3):

	/sbin/e2fsck -C 0 -f -y /dev/sda4

This will run an fsck on /dev/sda4.  -C 0 gives you the progress
indicator, -f causes it to run even if it looks clean, and -y answers
"yes" to all "fix?" questions.

If you want to also check the drive for bad blocks, add:

	-c -c

to the option list.  This will take a long time.

You may find that e2fsck has to be run a couple of time until no errors
are reported.

When you want to exit and try rebooting, since you've dillied with the
fs, I'd:

	sync

	halt

Ideally, halt would sync the disks, but the man page says that it can't
unless /proc is mounted.

When the system is halted, turn the power off, wait 15 seconds and
power on.

Alternatively, if you don't want to halt and power-cycle, but want to
immediatly try booting, do:

	exec init

which will terminate your sh process and run the init process.

Good luck.

Doug.