Re: logging writes to disk (keeping disk from spinning down)

also sprach green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> [2009.03.09.1716 +0100]:
> So you are saying that it is a BAD THING for RAID1 array devices to spin down?
> You are saying that I SHOULD NOT expect to be able to use power management with
> a RAID1 array?  I understand that it would be unreasonable to spin down drives
> in a server but this is more of a desktop system with RAID1 providing for the
> case of a hard drive failure.

I understand your need and agree that it would make sense in this
situation. I also use RAID1 at home for the same reason. I just
don't think mdadm is the right tool.

Have you tried hdparm?

It would be nice to have harddrives spin down and up as needed, even
with RAID1, and theoretically, there is no reason that couldn't
happen. I just don't want to start thinking about the problems that
come from powering down and RAID1 interacting.

I retract my previous statement. :_)

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"gott ist tot! und wir haben ihn getötet."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche