Re: Advice about ext3, please

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:31:15 -0600, Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net) wrote:

> On 2009-03-08_23:15:43, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Journaling uses significantly more disk space and does not allow for deleted
> > > file recovery.
> >
> > Neither is true.  I believe you're confusing log-structured file systems
> > and journalled file systems.
> >
> > > ext2 - for backup, removable, partitions rarely used, etc.
> >
> > ext2 is problematic for removable drives because if you remove the drive
> > without cleanly unmounting it you risk losing your data.  So I would
> > recommend ext3 for such uses.  Performance is rarely an issue, actually.
> >

> >         Stefan
>
> That is a pretty persuasive argument. I can see the plug being pulled by
> accident fairly often in the long run. ;-)
>
> I had pretty much decided the other way, but this, plus ... The drive is
> already ext3, and wikipedia article mentions problems with reverting back
> to ext2, which I would have to do. Sooooo----, I've decided to not change,
> --- for now ---

One good reason for using ext2 is to help reduce the number of disk
writes - which if your USB drive is a flash memory device rather than a
traditional hard disk might be considered important.  Otherwise, it
probably makes sense to do as you have decided and stick with ext3.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.