Re: how to produce cross-platform exe file?

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 06:06, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
>> Star Liu wrote:
>>> My target is to make cross-platform desktop application by gecko, now
>>> I have prepared a sample program, all the files are in a folder named
>>> myapp.
>>> In linux system, I can launch the app by this commmand: xulrunner-1.9
>>> /root/MyLife/Mozilla/myapp/application.ini
>>> In windows system, I can launch the app by this command: xulrunner.exe
>>> e:/myapp/application.ini
>>> I want to make a exe file, so that by double clicking the exe file,
>>> users can launch the app, I hope a same exe file can do it on both
>>> windows and linux systems, and I also hope the exe file will display
>>> as a selected icon.
>>> How could I reach it? thanks.
>>
>> You really can't have one executable that runs on Windows and Linux. The
>> file formats are different and not compatible.
>
> i think it's possible, for the main part of my app are made by XUL and
> run by xulrunner, it can run on both linux and windows as described
> above, what i need my exe to do is just to enter the xulrunner, as
> simple as a command line, so I'm trying to reach it.

The Mozilla platform is cross platform, and an app built on it can
certainly be cross platform, but only in the sense of having the
same source. It needs to be compiled separately for Linux, Mac,
and Windows.

> mono nearly has reached it, but there is something wrong with my
> debian box, which makes my mono exe file can only be run by command
> line, but by double click.

Mono/.Net uses the same libs and binaries across systems because
it is an application virtual machine, like Java. Xulrunner is not a VM.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers