Re: Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

* Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> 06.03.2009
> Joe McDonagh wrote:

> > dpkg-query just doesn't do it for me. And I also don't like how
> > there are a bunch of dpkg-* files that split up various functions of the
> > dpkg system.
>
>     You know, I never even heard of dpkg-query until you just brought it up.
> I've been using Debian for 10 flippin' years.  For those 10 years I have used
> four commands in dpkg.
>
> dpkg -s - show a package's description
> dpkg -S - search for a pattern in packages
> dpkg -l - list all packages
> dpkg -L - list all files in a package
>
>     That is pretty much the extent that I have to know about dpkg without
> referring to --help once every, ohhhh, 3-4 years.

And with "apt-file" you can search for files in packages which aren't
installed yet. Another good program is "debmany" from the package
"debian-goodies". With it you can read the manpages and the files in
"/usr/share/doc/<package>" of packages which also aren't installed. I
like these two programs because I can read much things before I install
a package.

Just my 2¢
Michael

--
Monolog - one person talking to himself,
dialog - two people talking to themselves.