Re: No sound on HP dv4

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> Repost of info posted on the /dev/sndstat thread by s. keeling.
>
> s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
> >
> >I'm just adding my similar situation.  It's an HP dv4 AMD Turion dual
> >core.  I've not heard a peep of sound from it yet.  Linux newmil
> >2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 15 22:48:01 UTC
> >2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux.  Kernel is stock Sidux.

> >00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> >01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> [snip]
> First try loading the snd-hda-intel module as root. See below.
> modprobe snd-hda-intel

That worked.  It loads.

> If you are just returned to the prompt, then run, lsmod | grep snd again, and
> see if the snd-hda-intel module is listed. If modprobe complains that it
> can't load the module, it could possibly be due to the fact that both the
> soundcard, and the sound component in the graphics card for HDMI, are both
> using snd-hda-intel, and there is some sort of conflict.
>
> if the modprobe snd-hda-intel does result in the module showing up in lsmod's

The modprobe at the commandline managed to turn the red microphone
icon on the laptop white (or I that's what did it).

> output, add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules. Reboot, and run lsmod | grep snd,
> and see if the snd-hda-intel module is there. Then run the commands below.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

(0) newmil [root] /root_ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xd2500000 irq 16
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xd2410000 irq 19
(0) newmil [root] /root_ grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
/proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
/proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec: LSI ID 1040
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: ATI ATI RS690/780 HDMI

> I don't expect much success from my suggestions above, so let's try this.
> Having removed the line for snd-hda-intel from /etc/modules, add this line
> to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. See below.
>
> options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

The effect of that was to eliminate "/proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec:
LSI ID 1040" from the grep above.

> Please post back all the output from the commands.

I didn't see this reply until I stumbled across it in a google
search.

> Is the HP dv4 a new machine? It's possible it's not supported yet with alsa.

I bought it new but I've no idea how long the model's been out.

Thanks Nigel.

(*)    http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/          Linux Counter #80292