Re: That New Loving Warning from Modprobe

On 2009-03-06 08:07 +0100, David Baron wrote:

> Very nice. Screen flooded with them. NO notification from change logs. Nada.
> Just a init screen full of ."... requires .conf, will be ignored in future
> release."

IMHO such stuff should have been uploaded to experimental first, but the
maintainer is notorious for breaking things.  Have a look at the
archived bugs of udev¹, for instance.

> Does one simply append .conf to all the files in modprob.d? If so, anyone have
> a simple sed or perl script to take care of this? (Should have been provided
> and maybe executed on the module utilities upgrade itself, huh?)

No, this has to be done by the packages providing the files.  Bugs have
already been filed against them.

In the meantime, I'd suggest downgrading module-init-tools to 3.4-1
until the problems have been sorted out.  At least that's what I did.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=1;src=udev;include=severity%3Acritical;include=severity%3Agrave