Re: How to adjust margins in xpdf reader?

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:18:29PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca> writes:
> >
> > > I've never found a direct way.  I do it two ways:
> > >
> > > 1.	Since I run on old hardware, some boxes are able to have a
> > > 	larger virtual screen than the pysical screen.  To shrink the
> > > 	margins and have larger text, just enlarge the xpdf window
> > > 	beyond the size of the physical screen (with xpdf set to fit to
> > > 	width).
> > >
> > > 2.	Just set the zoom factor so that the margins are outside the
> > > 	window.
> >
> > I mean what I get in xdvi with the `topmargin' option, i.e.: with the up and
> > down arrows of the keyboard I adjust the vertical page position as I want and
> > then, every time I do `n' or `p' to move one page forward or backward, I want
> > that position not to change.
> >
> > Is that possible, and how?
>
> I doubt it since dvi is device-independant and is mostly for printing to
> paper.  pdf is for on-screen and only presents an image of paper.  If
> you mean so that you can print a pdf with a specific margin, it may be
> possilbe with some pdf tools but I don't know.

*X*dvi is very much device dependent. Open up a dvi document with xdvi.
Poit the cursor to where you actually want the page to "begin" and press
'm' (IIRC). Now move to the next page ('n' IIRC) and the windo will show
the part beginning from the starting point.

Very useful with single-column LaTeX documents. I have no idea how to do
that with xpdf or evince.