Re: How to selectively automount USB disks under GNOME?

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 15:23:01 +0100, Robert Latest wrote:
> Hello,
>
> me and USB again. I normally use usbmount to automount USB disks. To
> download pictures from my digital camera's card, I've written a hook
> script which checks for certain things (the existence of a "DCIM"
> folder, specifically), and if these are found, automatically downoads
> all images from the card and sorts them into the appropriate folders.
>
> This works fine when I use my favorite environment (console and fvwm),
> but when my wife uses the Gnome desktop, some other automount
> mechanism seems to override usbmount.
>
> I don't want to tuen off the Gnome automount machanism altogether,
> because of course USB sticks and other stuff should still be mounted
> as before. It's just that volumes which have certain properties should
> be processed specifically.
>
> Is this possible?

The file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi contains a commented-out
example for telling gnome-volume-manager not to automount certain media.
I think it should be possible to adapt this example so that it matches
only your camera's card, using "lshal" to find a combination of match
keys that are specific to this medium. (It is advisable to put
customized rules into a separate fdi file, e.g. "local-rules.fdi", to
ensure that upgrades of the hal package do not interfere with your own
rules.)

          Florian   |