Re: Protecting files in linux

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:20:11PM +0100, Jorge Delgado wrote:
> Hi, i would like to protect files like passwords and websites of Firefox
> (iceweasel), and this cannot be done encripting the files.

I guess you mean those files containing such information to be encrypted
if someone steal your PC ...

> So, i need some program for protect the files and, at the same time be
> using them. If i encript the files, i cannot use them at the same time.
> And if I cannot use them at the same time, it's meaningless.
>
> Somebody could help me? Thank you very much, I appreciatte your help.

You may wish to consider encrypted filesystem.  Easy one is encrypted
home or root.

Hints are here but you need some customization etc.
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#removablediskencnwithdmcryptluks
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#automaticallymountingecryptfs