Re: grub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.

Daryl Styrk wrote:
Jimmy Johnson wrote:

The basics, did you prepare the drive to be booted, did you make a partition active/bootable? Just install "gparted" to look at the drive and as long as you don't have it mounted you can make changes, "gparted" is in the Lenny repos.

If I understand you correctly, I need to make a special partition on the thumb that is flagged as the boot partition and install grub to that? I would have thought that would have been mentioned in the tutorial. Or possible assumed knowledge. I suppose I'm not understanding the plainly written English correctly.. (I've been know to be an idiot before!)

What I'm saying is a drive has to bootable in order to boot.
If you want it all on one partition or more than one partition, it don't matter as long as the first partition is made bootable.

"Create a file system on the partition. You can use an existing VFAT filesystem (to keep compatibility with Windows/DOS). Regardless, make sure the partition type (set when you partition the drive) matches the filesystem you install. (If they differ, grub-install will fail with a confusing message "file ...boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly".) Assuming you settle on an ext3 filesystem: "

I thought simply deciding on using the entire drive would have eliminated the above warning. Thinking along the lines of the debian installer, "All files in one partition (recommended for new users)" Trying to keep this K.I.S.S.

If you put it all on one partition it still needs to be bootable and gparted will do that for you and you don't need to reinstall to do this, just open gparted and go to flags and check boot for the first partition, even if it only has one partition.

I followed the suggestion of mke2fs -j -I 128 /dev/sda1 per the below...

"Warning: Newer versions of mke2fs now create filesystems with inode sizes of 256 by default (instead of 128), which is causing compatibility issues with a lot of ext2/ext3 tools out there. If you want to be able to access your files from windows (using explore2fs for instance) make sure you do this instead: "

And at the grub stage I just went word for word on down..

So perhaps I create 2 partitions on the thumb, say a 512M for /boot flagged boot and the difference for / ?

If you want, but it's not needed, like I say it can all be on one partition, just make sure it is active/bootable.

I hope that helps.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.