Re: How to protect an encrypted file system for off-line attack?

On 02/26/2009 08:32 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
On 02/26/2009 06:51 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 07:11:43PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/26/2009 05:34 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

Among trillions of trillions, when do you know you've hit the
jackpot?

When you can decrypt the document with it?

You don't have access to the original unencrypted document to compare
your output/solutions with, obviously you wouldn't need to decrypt it
in the first place.. how do you know when you have successfully
decrypted?
The wrong key either (in the case of cryptfs) won't decrypt the file,
or (alternatively) will create gobbledygook.

I'm not familiar with cryptfs so I do not understand what you mean by
"not decrypting" the file.

$ encfs ~/.crypt ~/crypt
EncFS Password:
Error decoding volume key, password incorrect

$ encfs ~/.crypt ~/crypt
EncFS Password:

Depending on what was encrypted, and given the time, I'm sure I'd be
able to determine, one tentative key at a time, whether the output is
gobbledygook or not..  But even if the original data was in the most
readily legible and understandable form, how do I go about separating
the output obtained with wrong candidate keys in their trillions from
that obtained with the one true key, used when the data was encrypted?

Sorry for being thick.. I don't get it.

That's ok, I'm very tolerant of Democrats.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.