Re: [OT I think] Which Distro?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/26/2009 07:41 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
What applications or usage scenarios get more out of your hardware as
with 32bit / 64bit kernel?

How much better are those on amd64?

If you have over 3 GB of memory then you need 64 bit.

I really think that's myth.

I'll confirm that. My laptop has 4G of RAM (though only 3.4G is addressable, but my understanding is that that's a BIOS limitation (thanks Dell) since both windows XP (which I dual boot) and Debian show the same value). I'm running 32 bit just fine (2+ years ago when I tried 64-bit on this hardware I couldn't get ubuntu64 nor debian64 to work completely correctly), though I often feel like I'm an inferior sort of geek (because I'm wasting those extra bits of processing power).

	~c