Re: No soft-links for scp?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought that had been answered already [1].
>>

> This is a continuation of that conversation. At that time, I was only
> able to test cp's behaviour locally because I was not actually on the
> network. The cp command behaved as I wanted for making trees of other
> local directories, but now that I'm on the network I see that I cannot
> use it on remote filesystems.
>
>> Alternatively, create the symlinked copy while the remote fs is mounted.
>> When the remote system is up you could use it fully, when not just use
>> the symlinked copy.
>>

> I am not 'mounting' the remote file system, I am accessing it via SSH.
> KDE's terrific Konqueror file manager lets one browse a remote
> filesystem via SSH just as if it were local.

I think the only way to get what you want is to mount it using sshfs as
suggested elsewhere, and use cp as you would locally. When you're browsing
using fish:// or whatever, you're not browsing a filesystem in the
traditional sense; you're browsing data on a remote computer. KDE happens
to provide the facility for its applications to access data via a file-like
interface using kioslaves, but they're still not really files so they're
only accessible to KDE applications. Trying to link to this is like trying
to make a symlink to http://www.google.com - it doesn't make any sense to
the filesystem. If you use sshfs on the other hand, the fact that the files
are on a remote system is abstracted using fuse; it uses the remote
resources to provide local resources, in a similar way to the kioslave, but
at a lower level, so you get a real filesystem which is usable by any
software using standard file IO.

Nye