Lenny bricked {effectively} ps3 on dist-upgrade from etch.

So.... I was running etch, needed to upgrade to use the ppu-gcc package
I had, and upon reboot after an:
apt-get dist-upgrade, the machine will boot, but nothing works.

As far as I can tell it says something about udev failing due to kernel
version issues. USB and network no longer work so I have no way to get
serial, keyboard, or ssh access to the machine.

Does anyone know of a way {or support in the kernel} to force a device
so I can log in and fix it?
I would really prefer not to have to re-install.