Re: lvm2 and e2fsck

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 02:44:14 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
> This looks reasonable.
> # lvdisplay
>      Logging initialised at Tue Feb 24 15:42:45 2009
>      Set umask to 0077
> lvdisplay    Finding all logical volumes
> lvdisplay  --- Logical volume ---
> lvdisplay  LV Name                /dev/main_huge_vg/main_huge_lv
> lvdisplay  VG Name                main_huge_vg
> lvdisplay  LV UUID                Pgrlks-mtmc-GuYh-kvPU-Mr78-w9b6-uykW8A
> lvdisplay  LV Write Access        read/write
> lvdisplay  LV Status              available
> lvdisplay  # open                 0
> lvdisplay  LV Size                2.69 TB
> lvdisplay  Current LE             22023
> lvdisplay  Segments               9
> lvdisplay  Allocation             inherit
> lvdisplay  Read ahead sectors     auto
> lvdisplay  - currently set to     256
> lvdisplay  Block device           254:0
> lvdisplay
> lvdisplay    Wiping internal VG cache

Yes it does.

> > When you remake your LVM, you may want to use vgcfgbackup to save your
> > volume descriptors...
>
> Remake it?  From scratch?

I suppose I should have said "If you remake...", as in "if you are unable to
recover your data". LVM is supposed to keep backup group descriptors, but I
supposed that those could have been hosed too...

> > I re-read your original post. Are you saying that your problem is that
> > you don't have a /sbin/fsck.ext4? It looks like this is packaged in
> > e2fsprogs 1.41.3-1 (in lenny). Am I misunderstanding your problem?
>
> No, I definitely have /sbin/fsck.ext4.

But running it doesn't fix the group descriptor error? This person is having the
same problem and looks to have resorted to dumping the fs and looking at it
with a hex editor:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ext4/2009/1/5/4598534

MM