Re: how to find why packages are automatically installed?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 05:34:09PM -0800, Michael M. Moore wrote:
But I'm still left with a whole slew of automatically installed packages I don't want anymore, and I can't figure out how to identify why they are still installed. I thought the gconf2 package might be keeping them installed, but when I selected that for removal, several packages I want to keep (for example, quodlibet, which is not marked as automatically installed and does not depend gconf2) were also marked for deletion. I don't understand why that would be.

I've always found that the best way to sort out package dependancies is
to use the full-screen mode of aptitude.  Pick one of the packages you
don't want any more, select it, go down to see what depends on it and
choose one of the ones that its installed, etc.

Or, you can simple mark the package for removal, which will 'break' the
other packages,  hit 'b' to be taken to the first broken package and see
what's going on.

That's most likely what I'll do with the remaining packages I don't need. As it is, removing then reinstalling gdm took care of a bunch of them, probably the majority that were left.

Michael M.