how to find why packages are automatically installed?

I thought I had this down by now, but I'm lost.

I am in the process of removing much of GNOME, so I removed gnome-desktop-environment, which also removed gnome-core, and a whole bunch of other things. I also removed evolution.

But I'm still left with a whole slew of automatically installed packages I don't want anymore, and I can't figure out how to identify why they are still installed. I thought the gconf2 package might be keeping them installed, but when I selected that for removal, several packages I want to keep (for example, quodlibet, which is not marked as automatically installed and does not depend gconf2) were also marked for deletion. I don't understand why that would be.

Maybe there is no "magic package" that is keeping these things installed and I just need to selectively remove them one-by-one, along with the packages that will break but that I don't want anymore. I just thought I might be missing something obvious about the best way to take care of getting rid of a bunch of automatically installed packages relatively quickly.

Any advice?

Michael M.