Re: Proper "modern" way to install TrueType fonts in Lenny/Sid?

Avi Rozen wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to use an early-semitic font (midway down page
>> http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/30_intro.html) on my Sid system.
>>

> The "fc-cache" way is the right way to go, but that specific font seems
> to be buggy. The problem is that the font name is "Picto Hig" instead of
> "Semitic Early". To fix it use fontforge  to edit the font name,
> generate the truetype font, place it under ~/.fonts (for example) and
> re-run fc-cache. Worked for me (apart for a few warning messages from
> fontforge that I ignored).
>
> Enjoy,
> Avi

Thanks for the verification of the proper method.

I created /usr/share/fonts/truetype/picto-hig and dropped the font in
there, and then ran "fc-cache -fv", and now the font shows up in OO.o as
"Picto Hig".

The web page above still does not display the characters as I would
expect, but if I change the default font in Iceweasel
preferences/content to picto-hig, I start seeing the font on the page;
setting it back to serif puts the page back in plain text. I figure the
page is not coded properly.

The fontforge trick looks interesting; I may play with that a bit.

Thanks for the help!

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com