Proper "modern" way to install TrueType fonts in Lenny/Sid?

I'm trying to use an early-semitic font (midway down page
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/30_intro.html) on my Sid system.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing with a Slashdot(?)-highlighted site
that allows you to make a font of  your own handwriting, and after
scanning my handwriting in and submitting it to the site, I got a .ttf
file, and I was able to find some instructions on the web about dropping
the .ttf file into "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kents-handwriting/" and
then to run "fc-cache -fv" or something similar. (I can't recall all the
details now, and I can't find the site that walked me through the process.)

What I recall of the process is not working with this early-semitic font
(at least, the font doesn't show up in OO.o writer or in the chart on
the above-referenced page).

I've tried googling for the answer, but it seems that one page talks
about defoma (which may have a questionable future if I'm reading
between the lines properly of the bug report at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=285653), and another
page talks about restarting xfs (which I don't seem to have installed),
and another page talks about reordering the font lines in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, none of which I had to do with my hand-writing font.

Can anyone outline or point me to a step-by-step for the proper way to
install a random truetype font in Lenny or Sid?

Thanks!

--
Kent West                           <")))><