Re: Kernel AMD 64

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:16:48 -0600

> On 02/20/2009 06:01 PM, Alejandro Rodriguez Luna wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i just installed a new server runnign Debian, my server has a
>
> 32-bit, presumably?
>
> > AMD 64 X2 processor, i'd like to know which one is the best kernel
>  > for this processor.
> > by the way, it has 2GB ram.

For 2GB ram you are probably better of with 32bit kernel. Programs consume
about 30% less memory that way.

On the other hand, especial if you use programs that do heavy mathematical
computations on lots of data you may see some improvement using
64bit kernel as it has more registers. Most other things won't be faster.

> > linux-image-2.6-686 OR
> > linux-image-2.6-amd6
>
> I think you can install both.  Do so, and if there happen to be
> issues with linux-image-2.6-amd64, then reboot with linux-image-2.6-686.

You can install both as long as the userspace is 32bit. A 32bit kernel can't
run 64bit userspace.