Lenny rescue mode doesn't see partitions; install mode does

Hello all,

I just thought I'd boot up the i386 Lenny netinst.iso to ensure that it
sees all the hardware: I'll wait for a couple of months before upgrading
from Etch to Lenny.

The Box is an HP NetServer LPr D6131-60200 dual PII/450.  It has an
integrated symbios SCSI system but the drives are connected to an HP
NetRaid-1si that runs in Etch under the MegaRaid driver.

If I boot up the Lenny CD in rescue mode, at the point it stops for
"choose language", megaraid is not mentioned in the dmesg.  While
looking for the CD it finds the megaraid and the logical drives it
presents (sda and sdb) with all their partitions.  Eventually, the
rescue-mode stuff gets to the point of looking for the partitions but
then says it can't find them.  However, from a shell you can fdisk the
partitions no problem.

If I boot up the Lenny CD in expert install mode, it has no problem
finding the disks and shows the existing partitions.

I'm hoping that when the time comes, the upgrade will proceed and I
won't need to reinstall anyway, however the lack of a rescue mode
troubles me.

Any ideas why the discrepancy between rescue and install modes?

Doug.