Re: Can't update Testing system

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:30:37PM -0500, JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:18:55PM -0500, JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> was
> > heard to say:
> > > dpkg: error
> > > processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libsox-fmt-base_14.2.0-1_i386.deb
> > > (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/sox/libsox_fmt_sndfile.so', which
> > > is also in package libsox-fmt-sndfile
> >
> >   That's your bug.  It looks like the old libsox-fmt-sndfile (which
> > seems to have been removed from the archive) conflicts with
> > libsox-fmt-base.  I'd suggest just removing it by hand with dpkg
> > (aptitude was going to remove it anyway), and then filing a bug on
> > libsox-fmt-sndbase, severity serious or greater: it should conflict
> > with and replace libsox-fmt-sndfile (IMO).
>
> Looks like just removing it worked like you said. As far as filing the bug, I'm
> assuming you mean filing one with the Debian packager? Or do you mean with the
> developer?

  Yeah, I mean the Debian package.  It needs to pass some extra hints
to the package manager for upgrades to work cleanly.  In fact, it looks
like someone *tried* to do this with a "Replaces: libsox-fmt-libsndfile",
but the actual package name is "libsox-fmt-sndfile", so that Replaces
has no effect.

  Daniel