Re: Are squeeze weekly CDs being produced yet?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:48:41AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> 2009/2/18 Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com>
>
> > Same sort of thing for the weekly page
> >
> >        http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/
> >
> > It mentions Lenny as if it were still testing.
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >
> >  On the cdimage daily builds page
> >>
> >>        http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/
> >>
> >> there is mention of Lenny and Sid, but no mention of squeeze.  Is that a
> >> bug?
> >
> > I guess it's too early for that. It's only been 4 days since release IMHO.
>

>From lurking on irc on #debian-cd lately around the time of release and
on various lists at the moment :

The daily/weekly builds are disabled at the moment to allow time for the
mirrors to catch up - and for Steve to catch his breath after generating
502 images :)

The cron jobs that run them also produce verbose error messages when
they don't run - so they've been turned off for the moment.

We know that a release 1 of Lenny is planned for the end of March
timeframe - which will allow us all to patch any problems, fix odd bugs
that crept in and so on. [Nasty one on certain older Sparc machines, for
example].

It's possible that Steve will then turn the weeklies back on after that.

In the meantime, testing is about to get a hammering as all the changes
that have been held back prior to release of Lenny will hit at once
unless a lot of work is done to stage these transitions. That task, in
itself, is almost equivalent to a mini release. Allow dato and other
folk some slack as they arrange this.

Today, and potentially for the next couple of months if you want to
build a new system on Squeeze:

Build a minimalist system to start with. Grab a Lenny netinst, install the
base system only, change your /etc/apt/sources.list
to read squeeze instead of lenny,

aptitude update ; aptitude full-upgrade

and go on from there. That will keep you up to date with the state of
testing as it evolves. If you've already got a Lenny box up and
running, just change /etc/apt/sources.list.

Today, the divergence between Lenny / Squeeze is relatively small but
differences are growing daily.

This all IMHO

Hope this helps,

Andy