label swap partition

I'm trying to prepare my etch system for upgrade, and am converting to
labels in fstab.

I tried to label my swap partition (which is swap type in part table) by doing
mkswap -L rootswap /dev/hda1  (the current dev name of my swap partition)

but swapon -L rootswap says it can't find the label.

i notice, possibly irrelevant, that cfdisk is seeing the new labels on
my ext3 partitions, but not the label of the swap partition.

any hints about what I might be doing wrong?