Re: Restoring file permissions from package database?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:45:30AM +0100, Oliver Schneider wrote:
> is there any way in Debian (4.0 or 5.0) to restore the file
> permissions - mainly of files inside /etc/ - from the cached packages
> or the package database or so?
>
> The only other chance I see - without reinstalling - would be to
> install all those packages into a dummy installation (e.g. in a VM)
> and use that as a template for the existing installation. Is there a
> better method?

I've never had to do it for all of /etc.

Some packages come with /etc files in the deb, others create the
/etc files in their install script.  To use the packages, you'd have to
look in the deb for the files or in their scripts.

To look into debs, I use midnight commander.

You could alwasy ask someone to give you an ls -alR /etc.

Doug.