Re: Yet another RAID admin question

also sprach Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> [2009.02.17.1747 +0100]:
> But I understand these partitions are marked in some way to
> identify them as RAID members, and that these marks are used at
> boot time to asssemble the RAID.
>
> What do I have to do to make sure that after I have removed the
> old member it is never again recognised as a RAID member?

There's a superblock. When mdadm starts, it scans the devices
listed for DEVICES in mdadm.conf (or all partitions if it says
'partitions') for superblocks.

You can remove a superblock with --zero-superblock. See mdadm(8).

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

a c programmer asked whether computers have buddha's nature.
as the answer, the master did "rm -rf" on the programmer's home
directory. and then the c programmer became enlightened...