Yet another RAID admin question

I have successfully identified and decommissioned a failing RAID
partition -- my RAID1 was then running properly with only one of its two
twinned partitions.  Every timr I booted, I got a message complaining
that it was deficient.  The drive with the failing partition was indeed
defective, and has been physically removed from the computer. and
replaced with two new ones, which have been tested by exhaustive read-
write testing.

I've created partitions for the RAID on the new drivew, and successfully
added them.

The new drives are three times as big as the old ones.  I'd like to drop
the remaining old one from the RAID setup now, so I can triple the size
of the RAID.

Now presumably I can use mdadm to software-fail it, or to remove it, or
something like that.

But I understand these partitions are marked in some way to identify them
as RAID members, and that these marks are used at boot time to asssemble
the RAID.

What do I have to do to make sure that after I have removed the old
member it is never again recognised as a RAID member?

-- hendrik