Re: setting up vhost for external DNS?

Zach Uram:

> I wish to take over a wiki so I am setting it up on my machine however
> it will use the DNS hosted by someone else so they will setup a CNAME
> record pointing "wiki.foo.org" to my machine's ip. I have no control
> over foo.org.
>
> So how exactly should I set up the name based vhost in apache or
> should I use ip based vhost and how would that look?

Whether to use IP-based or name-based virtual hosts doesn't matter in
your case. If you have a spare IP address, you can use the former, but
you can always use the latter.

> I was going to us something like this for name-based vhost:
>
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/wiki
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerName wiki.foo.org
>      ServerAlias wiki.foo.org
>      DocumentRoot /var/www/wiki
>      ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
>      TransferLog /var/log/apache2/access.log
> </VirtualHost>

That looks fine. Just don't forget to set something like
'NameVirtualHost *:80". And your ServerAlias is redundant.

J.
--
The houses of parliament make me think of school bullies.
[Agree]   [Disagree]