Lenny upgrade: Failed to load modules "ati" and "typ1" when starting X. No drivers available

After dist-upgrade from etch to lenny, I'm trying to run lenny using 2.6.18 kernel that I have left over from etch, as I'm having issues assembling mdadm RAID drives under the new 2.6.28 lenny kernel (For more info see http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/b97fd9b0a450370f# )

The problem now is that when I try to start X, it fails complaining that:
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "ait" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(E) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found, giving up

Any ideas? Thanks