Re: radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Monday 16 February 2009 05:53:00 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:14:36 +0100
> Thomas Preud'homme <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > glxgears
> > 1008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.471 FPS
> > 1226 frames in 5.0 seconds = 245.142 FPS
> > 1237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.393 FPS
> > 1236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.034 FPS
> >
> > If I play a game or a 3D screensaver it's awfully slow as expected.
> >
> > Did I misunderstand something about the configuration ?
> >
> > Why is it so slow ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Thomas Preud'homme
>
> Are the xorg and drivers that you installed from experimental? I had to
> install all these packages from experimental in order to get a fully
> functional set up. Also, the mesa packages need to be compatible with
> the driver you are using. This means, the latest 3D drivers usually use
> the latest mesa libraries.

Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about this
thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an additional
option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":

        Option          "DRI"

For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf to
this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my working
evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration but it's a
working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on xserver-xorg because a
reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard although this does nothing.
Only modifications in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have
made xorg recognize my keyboard layout and options.

> Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
> had more success with that.

Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
transparency on KDE 4 :)

> Good luck,

Thank

> Amit

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "MBP Layout"
	Screen         "MBP Screen" 0 0
#	Screen         "Iiyama Screen" 0 0
#	InputDevice    "MBP Keyboard"
	InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "bitmap"
	Load  "ddc"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "int10"
	Load  "vbe"
	Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier	"MBP Keyboard"
#	Driver		"evdev"
#	Driver		"kbd"
#	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
#	Option		"XkbModel" "evdev"
#	Option		"XkbLayout" "fr"
#	Option		"XkbRules" "xorg"
#	Option		"XkbModel" "macintosh"
#	Option		"XkbModel" "macbook79"
#	Option		"XkbLayout" "fr"
#	Option		"XkbLayout" "mac"
#	Option		"XkbOptions" "lv3:lalt_switch"
#	Option		"XkbOptions" "lv3:alt_switch,altwin:alt_super_win"
#	Option		"XkbOptions"	"lv3:alt_switch,ctrl:ctrl_ra"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver		"synaptics"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option	    "SendCoreEvents" "true"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option	    "SHMConfig" "true"
	Option	    "LeftEdge" "100"
	Option	    "RightEdge" "1120"
	Option	    "TopEdge" "50"
	Option	    "BottomEdge" "310"
	Option	    "MinSpeed" "0.60"
	Option	    "MaxSpeed" "1"
	Option	    "AccelFactor" "0.30"
	Option	    "FingerHigh" "1"
	Option	    "FingerLow" "1"
	Option	    "MaxTapTime" "100"
	Option	    "MaxTapMove" "100"
	Option	    "MaxDoubleTapTime" "100"
	Option	    "FastTaps" "0"
	Option	    "TapButton1" "1"
	Option	    "TapButton2" "3"
	Option	    "TapButton3" "2"
	Option	    "VertScrollDelta" "25"
	Option	    "HorizScrollDelta" "80"
	Option	    "VertEdgeScroll" "0"
	Option	    "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
	Option	    "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
	Option	    "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "MacBook Pro LCD"
	HorizSync    28.0 - 72.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 60.0
	Option	    "VendorName" "Apple"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Flat Panel"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
#	Identifier   "Iiyama ProLite B2403WS"
#	HorizSync    31.0 - 83.0
#	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
#	Option	    "VendorName" "Iiyama"
#	Option	    "ModelName" "ProLite B2403WS"
#	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
#EndSection

Section "Device"

	Identifier	"ATI Mobility X1600"
	Driver		"radeonhd"
#	Driver		"fglrx"
	Screen		0
	Option		"EnableMonitor" "lvds,tmds1"
	Option		"DRI"
EndSection

#Section "Device"
#
#	Identifier  "ATI Mobility X1600 external"
#	Driver      "fglrx"
#	Screen      1
#	Option	    "EnableMonitor" "lvds,tmds1"
#EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "MBP Screen"
	Device     "ATI Mobility X1600"
	Monitor    "MacBook Pro LCD"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Modes	"1440x900"
		Virtual	3360 2100
	EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "Screen"
#	Identifier "Iiyama Screen"
#	Device     "ATI Mobility X1600 external"
#	Monitor    "Iiyama ProLite B2403WS"
#	DefaultDepth     24
#	SubSection "Display"
#		Modes    "1920x1080"